There are approximately 75 million dogs in the United States, according to the 2007-2008 National Pet Owner Survey. Five million people are bitten each year, in the United States, with 1 million of those bites requiring medical attention.
Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Presa Canario breeds of dogs are guilty of more than their share of the dog bites, dog attacks, and resultant injuries, according to a study by Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People. These three breeds are responsible for:
- 82% of attacks on adults
- 74% of dog bites / attacks
- 68% of attacks on children
- 68% of maimings from dog bites / dog attacks
- 65% of deaths from dog bites / dog attacks
More alarming statistics:
- 77% of dog bites are from the family dog or a friend’s dog
- 61% of the dog bites / attacks happen at home or a familiar place
- 77% of the injuries to children are facial injuries
- 67% of fatal dog bite / attack cases it was the first time that the dog had ever bitten or attacked anyone
The number of dog bite fatalities is on the rise. In the 1990s, the average number of deaths from dog bites was 17 per year. In 2007, there were 33 deaths.
Cost of Dog Bites: Emotional and Financial
The cost of a dog bite on one’s psyche is a very real issue. A dog bite is a traumatic, paralyzing event in the life of the victim. It is so difficult to get past the fear. Sometimes there is a stigma because you don’t like dogs and people think you are cruel or uncaring.
The costs are more than just emotional. Every year dog attack victims in the United States suffer more than $1 billion in losses. According to the Insurance Information Institute, dog bites cost insurers more than $350 million in 2007.
If you are suffering financial losses and haggling with insurance companies for coverage of an unprovoked dog bite injury, call 612-TSR-TIME today. We will take the burden from you and fight for justice and compensation. Our personal injury lawyers and attorneys are skilled, seasoned litigators, and they have been named Super Lawyers many times. Submit our free consultation form and let us get to work on your behalf.